Monday, August 25, 2014

Wallflower Girl

I've mentioned before in this blog (see: Scared, Are You?) how hard it can be for me to put myself out there. I've got a bit of social anxiety, people just thought I was extremely shy as a kid, but it seems to be more than that. I've always had trouble with this in life and sometimes working in a retail job with emphasis on customer service, I get really mentally drained before I'm even asking my co-workers to vote for me. I've had to really push the envelope with this contest, really get out there and push the fear of speaking to people to ask them for the favor of voting for me away so that I can get the info out.

Ever since I picked up the compilation release of BTE's "Artifakt" at a show, out of all their back catalog, I resonate most with a little known, beautiful and IMO poignant song called "Wallflower." I've never heard played it at shows and I don't even know the story behind it. I want to *ask* KG the story behind it and I will if I ever get the chance to meet him.

well you're in and out and up and down and halfway in between
you're holly-go-lightly
yeah i heard you played that scene
well you say that you're an actress
and a painter on the side
and you used to read the tarot cards
but you don't like what you find
but i suppose we both know your future anyway
hey hey hey


now do you forget who you are
when you're the last one in the bar
and then morning unfurls
on the wallflower
yeah yeah
wallflower girl
on the wallflower girl 


This acoustic version is literally the only version of the song to be found online:



I've decided one place I can be myself without fear of reprisal is in my car. I recently got a new-to-me Mazda Tribute to replace my old wrecked Jeep Cherokee Sport. The Tribute, as a a surprising bonus has a great sound system in it... perfect for listening to Better Than Ezra, of course, in which "Paper Empire" was the first CD to be played in it... and most of the rest of the CDs that have been played in it have been BTE (I did throw in a listen to some Matthew Sweet one day, though). And singing to it, too, and believe me, I *never* sing in public LOL

I lived for several years without even a working stereo in the Jeep because I was always afraid to sink any more money in it than I had to to keep it running "just in case." Turns out I was right not to do so, since it died a slightly premature death. Of course, when the poor old Jeep went to the great big Junkyard in the Sky, it took along a great collection of stickers. Pretty recently I had run across a BTE sticker and had put it on there. Of course, buying the Tribute meant that I needed a new BTE sicker post-haste to put on it! That came in today so before any further ado, the Tribute got it's first sticker and I can proudly show off my BTE love where ever I go- take that social anxiety!


As always, if you like my blog and would like to help me on my quest to finally MEET THE BAND, please do head on over here to #BTECrazyLucky and LIKE my photo, and maybe even share it or tag your friends- only a few days left!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment