Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Recognize

As I was driving home after work and after a stop at my favorite local gumbo joint, Gumbo Ya Ya, I started reflecting upon how I feel about Better Than Ezra's music, about what makes me love them so much.

One thing I have always loved about music is how the songs we we most associate with take us back to memories we may otherwise let slip away. One of the reasons that I connect so strongly with BTE's music is because I seem to find much to remember whenever I listen to them. I sure do have my favorite songs in any of my other beloved bands, but BTE holds the top spot in my heart.

I think any of us from a broken home or having had tough teenage years could listen to the lyrics of "Teenager" and remember the awful time we had during that time in our lives. It certainly hits very close to home for me. "This Time of Year" easily transports us to our first car, our first love, and those crisp days of Fall. "R3wind" reminds of us those awesome mix tapes we used to make of all our favorite songs before we had them all at our fingertips. "At The Stars" brings me back again to those teenage years in Florida, being with someone and begging them not to take me home after being out all night. I wanted to hang on and savor those long summer nights driving down the beach road with someone I cared for and not go back to the storms at home...

It's so easy to find myself lost in those thoughts and memories that BTE's songs dredge up for me, occasionally I find myself in tears when particular songs come on. Sometimes they are good tears, sometimes they are sad tears. But either way, I wouldn't change how I experience their music at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment