Thursday, August 7, 2014

R3winding

Quite awhile back, my BFF/partner in crime, Heather, asked me what my favorite BTE song was... And I thought for a minute, surely I could pick just one? But instead I replied "Which album?"

I find something to love on each album, even if the overall feel of it isn't quite my groove. Each road trip anywhere always results in a cycling through of all my CDs, singing along with them all and rediscovering favorites I may have missed in my daily life.

I think that we all feel like our favorite band creates a soundtrack to our lives. Part of the beauty of music, like any work of art, is that it's subjective. Many people can listen to the same song and each one can take away a different message or put particular emphasis on a lyric in the song. Better Than Ezra's music is particularly good for that to me. Take the newly released single "Gonna Get Better." Obviously on the outside, it's about a long term relationship which is suffering a bit. I think any of us have probably had the same experience. Myself, while I can certainly read it that way, I can also read it as someone who has a hard time due to health issues and need the reminder that there are still good days to be had. While today and tomorrow and even a whole week may be physically rough on me, eventually it will get better and I'll feel all right for a bit and be able to enjoy life again. Thank goodness for BTE because sometimes I *really* need them when it gets rough.


No comments:

Post a Comment